Potato masala (aloo paliya)
Here’s a delicious little recipe for a potato masala that you can serve by itself or stuff into a dosa.
This will serve about 4, but only as a side dish. If you stuff 8-inch diameter dosa with it, it will do about 4.
1. Microwave the (unskinned) potatoes for 7-10 minutes (depending on size). When done, scoop the potato flesh from its skin and discard the skin. Rice (or mash) the potatoes.
2. Meanwhile, heat oil hot in heavy pan. Add mustard and cumin seeds, black gram dal, chili powder and garam masala. Lower heat as soon as seeds begin to pop.
3. Add chilis, onion and ginger and heat for 2-3 minutes. Add salt and pepper, tumeric and mix well. Add 1 cup of water and cover. Simmer for 5 minutes or until onion are translucent.
4. Add potatoes, then frozen peas and toss (mix) with previous ingredients.
5. Garnish with cilantro and serve.