I decided to try out this old favorite and got rave reviews from some quarters of my table as well as no complaints from the others including the vegetable haters. See my blog/rant.
I made the fry bread a couple of hours ahead of time and it was still good. I re-warmed it in the microwave for just a few seconds, but I think it would be better to time it to be ready just as you build the tacos. Over the years, I've sought the best scone recipe and think I found it in 2016, what's here.
|1 cup||warm milk|
|1½ tsp||baking powder|
|¼ tsp||baking soda|
|1 tbsp||oil or butter|
|Taco fixings (see below)|
1. Proof yeast with sugar in warm milk.
2. Mix dry ingredients, add wet to dry and knead in mixer. Adjust dough to just dry by adding small amounts of flour.
3. Knead into roll, cut into thirds, place on greased plate, spray with Pam to keep wet, proof until beginning to double.
4. Press out to scone and fry both sides golden.
5. Build the tacos using your favorite taco or burrito ingredients. Here’s my take on the process. I might fire the cheese under a broiler for a few seconds before adding the rest of the ingredients.