During the pandemic, Disney released this recipe, an old favorite of Walt's used in the Carnation Café at Disneyland.
Serves 6-8 people.
|¼ cup||olive oil, divided|
|¾ lbs||beef stew meat|
|1 small||onion, diced|
|1 medium||green pepper, diced|
|4 cloves||garlic, minced|
|1 lb||ground beef|
|1 tbsp||ground cumin|
|1½ tbsp||chili powder|
|1 tbsp||onion powder|
|¾ tsp||cayenne pepper|
|3 tbsp||tomato paste|
|2||plum tomatoes, diced|
|1 can||diced tomatoes (28 ounce)|
|2 tbsp||beef base|
|1 can||pinto beans (14.5 ounce), rinsed and drained|
|—||Coarse salt, to taste|
|½ cup||sour cream|
|1 cup||shredded cheddar cheese|
|2 small||tomatoes, diced|
1. Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in large Dutch oven, over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add stew meat and sauté for 10 minutes, until meat is browned on all sides. Remove stew meat from pan and set aside.
2. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil to pan, heat for 3 minutes over medium heat.
3. Add onions and green pepper. Sauté 8-10 minutes, until soft. Add garlic and sauté one minute longer, until garlic is fragrant.
4. Add ground beef. Cook, stirring occasionally to break up large chunks of beef, for 10-12 minutes, until beef is no longer pink. Drain excess fat.
5. Return stew meat to the Dutch oven with ground beef mixture. Add ground cumin, chili powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, tomato paste, fresh diced plum tomatoes, diced can tomatoes, beef base, and water.
6. Bring chili to a simmer. Cover and simmer over low heat for 3 hours, until stew meat is tender.
7. Add pinto beans. Simmer for 10 minutes, until beans are warm.
7. Season with salt, as needed.
9. Garnish with sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese, and diced tomatoes.