This is the way it’s supposed to work—and not with that nasty sauce Americans have grown up with. What the three meats do slow cooking together is nothing short of a miracle.
All of this is done uncovered.
|—||mirepoix (2 tbsp each ingredient, fine-chopped)|
|1 cup||each ground beef, pork, veal|
|1 cup||white wine|
|1 large can||whole tomatoes fine-chopped|
1. Sweat mirepoix ingredients over medium heat to soften, but not brown in Dutch oven, about 6 minutes.
2. Cook ground meats with salt slowly over low heat for 4 minutes. Add milk, then steep meat until milk is absorbed, about 15 minutes.
3. Add wine and simmer over lowest heat until reduced, about 15 minutes.
4. Add canned tomatoes and simmer 3 hours to finish the sauce. I don’t yet know how well it keeps.
5. Cook pasta until al dente, drain, but not dry, pour immediately into sauce and toss. Serve.